Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Sports Watercooler

By Kirby

So this will become our first daily feature. I am going to go through in brief, the past nights sports highlights in a quick superficial matter. Deep enough so you can convince anyone you run into that you know sports, but shallow enough to where if he wants to discuss the White Sox 5 man rotation, you will have to slowly slink away.


And I liked the name Sports Watercooler enough that I didn't feel like Googling it to figure out how many other people came up with the same name.

And its also my hope that this will really get the comments section going. Say for instance you are in Medical School in Texas and take offense to the fact that I think that the Mavs won't make the playoffs this year (which they totally won't. I don't think the Kidd trade helped them at all, they gave up way to much, especially on the defensive end, and I think Denver is going to make a run, leaving Dallas the odd man out), lets discuss in the comments section.

Update: So now that it has just been released that Yao is out for the year, I retract that last statement, Dallas is in. Damn freak injuries messing with my predictions.

So, on to the inaugural Sports Watercooler.

The biggest sporting events last night happened at the college ranks.
5 Texas defeated Kansas State 85-75. This pretty much supplants Texas at the top of the college basketball world, and they look strong. They still haven't lost since January 30th, winning 8 in a row. Its probably also worth noting that Player of the Year favorite Michael Beasley had 30 points and 15 rebounds in the losing effort. We have to assume that Texas is now the best team in the Big 12, over Kansas, right? And I say this totally ignoring the fact that I will be on said campus in 2 days.

Other scores from the top 25, 21 Marquette dominated Villanova, ending Nova's hey-we-beat-a-top-team-this-weekend-we-might-make-the-tournament feelings. But buck up Wildcat fan's, you have to be the favorite to win the NIT. And also, 23 St. Mary's beat San Diego. I am pretty sure St. Mary's is ranked as some sort of ploy the AP thought of to see "hip". Mid-majors are cool now, right?

Peter Forsberg rejoined the Colorado Avalanche yesterday. I guess this is a big deal since its one of the few NHL players whose name I immediately recognize. Although to be fair, I never knew he left in the first place.

In the NBA, Jason Kidd played his first home game in Dallas since the trade, returning to the fans who used to boo him (although, they probably were just booing the whole team. Those were dark days, BC. Before Cuban). Kidd had 11 points, 9 boards, and 8 assists in a nice all around defeat of the Bulls. And Washington beat the Hornets in a last second buzzerbeater. We can all agree now that Washington is better without Arenas, right?

And in Spring Training news, the Red Sox signed planet pitcher Bartolo Colon, who was immediately disappointed when he discovered that the Coco Crisp on the roster was an actual man and not a room full of chocolate cereal.

2 comments:

Gar said...

Ok, you goaded me into it, Borys. The Mavs will most likely make the playoffs, because even though they aren't as good this year as they were the previous two years, they still beat the bad teams, which will be enough to fend off the nuggets.
Next, I myself was skeptical of the Kidd trade. I've started to see the light though. His addition has made Dirk better, and really what more could you ask from a trade other than to make your best player better? How does that not make your team better?
Another unexpected benefit of this trade is that Dampier as been energized because Kidd will give him passes on the offensive end (see his 7 blocks last night). Ok this is long enough. You're just bitter the Mavs beat the T'Wolves two nights ago.

Bikes in Trees said...

Who is this Borys? I believe Kirby wrote that last article.

Yeah, using an alias is weird.

And I was going to talk about how maybe losing an inside defender like Diop was maybe not as big of a deal as I thought, due to Dempier's 7 blocks, but then just totally forgot.

But making fun of the Wolves won't hurt me much, I have resigned to them being a lottery team for the next 5 years, and then moving to Seattle.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites

Powered by FeedBurner