Thursday, April 10, 2008

NHL Playoff Preview

So yesterday I tackled the Eastern Conference. And then I followed up by watching a game last night, I watched the Rangers defeat the Devils. And I came to these conclusions:

Every player on the ice is really amped up for the playoffs. It was non-stop excitement.
Hockey players can flop with the best of them
MSG+ channel does their between period studio analysis at a bar. They were just posting up at some bar in the arena talking about the game. I want that job.

So today, here is the Western Conference. As previously mentioned, I haven't read much about this season and watched even less. And I won't let the 5 minutes of the San Jose game I watched last night influence me too much.

1 Detroit Red Wings vs. 8 Nashville Predators

This isn't the Red Wings team you remember from when they dominated the league. All the players from those teams are gone (so I just learned 2 minutes ago after looking at their roster), with the exception of Dominick Hasek who I belive came out of retirement like 5 years ago, and Darren McCarty. The similar thing from those Red Wing teams of yore though, is the skill level. These guys are once again stacked. And the Predators sadly, are still a team that never should exist (Nashville? Hoc-key?)

Goalies: The Wings actually start Chris Osgood slightly more than Hasek, but their 2 goalies are better than Nashville's one--Dan Ellis.

Prediction: Nashville actually has a pretty good home ice advantage. For some reason, those Tennessee hicks really love hockey and make it loud in there. I think thats good enough for at least 1 win. Still, Red Wings in 6.

2 San Jose Sharks vs. 7 Calgary Flames

I bet you didn't know, but the Sharks are really good this year. Last I knew about the Sharks was in grade school, it was insanely cool to have their Starter jacket. Now, they are one of the premiere teams in the NHL and a favorite to win the Cup this year. Calgary still has Iginla who 2 years ago was the coolest thing on skates. His PR has chilled a bit with the new batch of talent emerging, but his skills haven't. A terrific player to watch, and very charismatic. (i.e. Holy Crap! That dude is black!)

Goalies: Evegni Nabokov for the Sharks lead the league in wins this year. Calgary's net minder is Miikka Kiprusoff. 2 i's and 2 k's in Mika? I don't like it. Sharks win this category.

Prediction: This is when watching last night will help me. I originally was going to pick San Jose in 4, but then they got shamed last night at home. Now I think Calgary can really match up well. I think they can at least win 1 more. San Jose in 6.

3 Minnesota Wild vs. 6 Colorado Avalanche

Look back to the Red Wings entry. This is the opposite. Colorado was really good about a decade ago and their roster looks EXACTLY THE SAME. The only thing different is Patrick Roy is gone. Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, all there. Minnesota meanwhile compiled their best season in franchise history. And everyone should do themselves a favor and watch Marian Gaborik, whose speed and stick handling make playing hockey look easy.

Goalies: The Av's have the talented Jose Theodore (Jose?! I tried to look up where he was born, but ESPN lists it as Laval, PQ. Where is PQ? This has stumped me for about 15 minutes before I realized I can't dwell on this). Minnesota has Nicklas Backstrom, which gives them a slight advantage.

Prediction: With the Avs winning game 1, that changes things a bit. And I can't let my homerism take over here, Colorado in 7.

4 Anahiem Ducks vs. 5 Dallas Stars

Here are two teams with bad beginnings. One started as a spin off on a terrible awesome Disney movie. The other was started after a greedy owner ripped the hearts out of Minnesota citizens (and a certain 10 year old boy) and moved the team to Texas.

This matchup also features 3 former playoff MVPs in Giguere, Niedemeyer and Richards

Goalie: Ducks have fan favorite and playoff superstar Jean Sebastien Giguere. It doesn't get much better than Giggy come April and May. Marty Turco, who is good in his own right, will have a challenge cut out for him.

Prediction: The Ducks won it all last year, and although they won't again this year, they will win this series in 7 games.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites

Powered by FeedBurner