Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Uh oh! That's Kirby's Music!

I had the pleasure of attending Yankee stadium last night, and the bigger pleasure of sitting a mere 4 rows from the field. Close enough where our seats had signs warning us to beware of foul balls and that interfering with the actual game would get us kicked out. This is not a common occurrence, the next two games I will be going to, my seats are in the exact opposite location (4 rows from the very top).

I love live baseball, and I won't get into my reasons of listing why yet, I am going to build upon one aspect that is great, no matter if you go to a minor league game or a Yankees game--entrance music. One of the coolest things I have ever seen in professional sports in Mariano's entrance to "Enter Sandman" in the 9th inning. As soon as the first note hits, the fans know, and the whole places gets into a frenzy. By the time he hits the mound, I feel like even I could hit 96 on the gun.

This leads to the question, suppose you are a closer for a major league team. What would your song be? Answer how you will in the comments section (now open to everyone! Even the anonymous!). My top 5 is as follows:




5. 2Pac's Hit Em Up. Ignoring the fact that it would be strange to have a tall white guy walking out to some very NSFW rap, my only risk here is that while I am being pumped up, I may also inadvertently be pumping up the opponents number 3, 4, and 5 hitters at the same time.




4. Theme from Crimson Tide. I would have the stadium DJ start this at about the 1 minute mark. And crank it loud. At first the place would be a bit confused. An orchestra? But then it really starts going and without even realizing it, everyone is feeling this emotion in their hearts. A sense of pride. Of duty and honor. Of strike outs and fastballs.





3. Metallica's Whiskey in the Jar. This pretty much covers it all. A 90s hair rock band who eventually sold out covering a traditional Irish tune? I can only hope that would perfectly describe my pitching in song-form.


2. It's Raining Men. Yeah, you read that right. Just picture this. The other team is bracing themselves, knowing they have to score this inning in order to win the game. What better to knock them off their game than a roaringly gay anthem. Go get 'em girls!




1. ACDC's Hells Bells. As soon as the other team heard those bells toll at the beginning they would be shaking in their cleats. As I began my stroll to the mound (not too fast, not to slow) the music builds as does the excitement in the stadium. 5 warm up pitches and bring on your best man.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites

Powered by FeedBurner