Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Sports Watercooler

I know there has been a lot going on in the sporting world this week. Sadly, there has been a lot going on at work this week as well, so I haven't had the time to really dig deep into it.

I would like to discuss how Tom Crean made a mistake. I mean, this ain't the 80's anymore, Indiana basketball and the Big 10 may have a ton of tradition and is really high profile job, but if Crean wanted to win a National Championship, his best chance was at Marquette.

I would like to discuss the opening of the baseball season. How I may not be as sour on the Santana trade as I originally was after watching Carlos Gomez play 2 days.

We could even write about how after not caring about the NBA and NHL for the past 5 months, we are 2 weeks from the playoffs, were both seasons make a 180 and I turn from being borderline interested to extremely interested in both sports.

But instead, I am chosing this time to introduce yet another feature on this fine blog: The Bandwagon Team of the Week.

I hope I am not alone in doing this, but there is always random teams you end up cheering for. Either out of pity, or some sort of heartwarming tale, I find a random rooting interests all over the sporting world. And so I am going to pick a team that we can all support for a week. We will pretend like we have cared all season long, much like myself and three-fifths of New York did during the Superbowl. Even though I conceived of this idea on a Wednesday, every Monday we will select a new team. If you have a nomination, put it in the comments section. For instance, if we did this last week, the team probably would have been the Washington Nationals. Between hosting Opening Night (American Version), the new stadium and the awesome power of the walk-off homerun, I was openly rooting for them for their next two games. Thus is the power of the bandwagon.

Well now we can cheer for a random team together! This week's bandwagon team to cheer for is the New York Rangers! On Monday night I went to the game and it was a blast. First off, there is hardly a sporting event that is better to watch live than hockey. Its non-stop, fast paced action. And I got to see Jesus Sidney Crosby and the first place Penguins get beat in overtime by the Rangers! I had never really cheered for the Rangers before, but the crowd looked to be sold out and was really into it. Plus, the Rangers actually have a bunch of guys I have heard of! Jaromir Jagr scored a goal! I thought he had retired 10 years ago. Drury scored the game winner! Plus fan favorite Sweedish goalie Lundgvist had an amazing night, to the delight of the crowd. The emotion and excitement as we near playoff time makes the Rangers this week's Bandwagon Team! Go Rangers!

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites

Powered by FeedBurner