Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Big Grizz's Weekend Recap

By Big Grizz


1 part roommate's parents, 1 part friend turning 21, and 2 parts weekend make for a very strange cocktail.


Let's just get this little hanging chad out of the way from last week. I made the phone call on Tuesday after consulting many experts on the female race. I thought this would be as easy as picking out all the marshmallows of my Lucky Charms. Well sure enough, I make the phone call, predictably no answer so I leave a message. Not 3 minutes later I got a phone call back from the very same lass. I answered with probably what was an over-perky hello. I heard chatter in the background and then she hangs up. Story over. I have not called back since. The comments section would be a good place to discuss but as of right now I consider the issue dead. I ask you not to feel bad for me. I really don't have time for dating while I'm catching up on back episodes of LOST.


Unfortunately this weekend started Thursday night. I unexpectedly got a call from an old high school chum who was visiting the big city and needed a place to crash Thursday night. This started with me watching the Louisville vs. Notre Dame game. It continued with me getting angry. It finished with me drinking $2 Labatt Blue cold beer/warm hands cans at a bar. Those of you looking for a small piece of nostalgia will remember those from the good ol days at Club Fever.


Friday morning I was tired. I've been attempting to go to daily Mass before work. Unfortunately due to my tiredness/headache, I left my apartment (this was really smart looking back on it) at a point that was too late to go to Mass and too early to go to work. So I drove down side streets looking at big houses. And--I'm gonna skip the cute stuff--I ran into a glorified public works lawn cart. His damn cart had a small scratch on some reflector tape; my car needs to have a panel replaced. So what is the lesson here? If you are early for work, go get a donut, don't drive around in circles.


Let me just say this. I was not looking forward to this weekend. I had a couple of friends early on tell me they were coming in for 21st birthdays.


21st birthdays are great…when they are your own. When they are not, you still feel compelled to do things like "shots" and "stick your fist in your mouth."


So needless to say at the ripe old age of 23 and some months, I was not looking forward to celebrating a 21st.


Also, I was not looking forward to my roommate's parents shacking up with my roommate and I this weekend. I don't like waking up and seeing a middle aged woman roaming around my living room when I'm hungover with curlers in her hair. I don't like going to grab a magazine to read on the pooper only to realize it's Family Circle. I don't like going to watch some HBO and being forced to watch the Weather Channel…for one hour…in standard definition. Parents are awesome. God bless 'em. Ain't nobody I love more than the good mother and the wise father. But when I get up at 9:30 because the sun is up and I want to wander around the living room in my underwear because I'm not ready to actually do something yet, I don't want to run into Mr. and Mrs. Roommate.


Well the 21st birthday went off well. Somehow no other Chicago companions showed up besides the kid hosting the party (which was moved off-site from my place due to a TV Land Marathon going on in my apartment). Therefore, I was forced to be the drunk uncle. (A role I subsequently realized is pretty awesome and I appreciate my own uncle for that much more).

Sunday I got to go to ND-Depaul. Now some of you may be a little cranky that ND blew a 28 point lead and only won by 8. You are the basketball elitists. You still complain the NBA isn't the same since Jordan. You wear short shorts. Not me. Anytime a guy gets to go watch his home town team in an away town arena full of primarily away town fans with stadium cups of beer pull out a victory, he's happy. So what if we lost the last 10 minutes by 20 points? Washed that whole experience down with a nice trip to Bennigan's with my pal Big Cat.


So there ya go. I'll be blogging live from Fort Lauderdale, Florida this next weekend. This is because when you get old you don't get spring breaks, you get "long weekends."


7 comments:

DynoMiiike said...

Big Grizz - Can you give us a preview of your fort lauderdale trip? do you have anything exciting planned??

DynoMiiike said...

also, call the girl back, ask her to go to dinner...then don't show up and fed-ex one of those legendary big-grizz dumps to her

Unknown said...

this website is gayer than a box of aids

Big Grizz said...

Hey christian,

Eat a fart.

Meanwhile, I think Big Grizz should try and get on one of those Spring Break television programmes.

Bikes in Trees said...

That doesn't sound like a very Christian thing to say, Christian.

Gar said...

The best part of this post is the link to Club fever's website. Definitely wait for the intro to load. It's completely worth it.

Big Grizz said...

Responses to those who have generously commented so far:

Mike - You are by far the greatest commenter in the history of blogs.

Christian - You remind me of my dirty underwear.

Garrett - You ever thought about going by the name Gary? It is preferable in every way.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites

Powered by FeedBurner