Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Sports Watercooler

I am just drawing a blank today. Maybe I am just excited for the conference tournaments to get started, maybe I am just a little brain dead from work, or maybe its the fact that my office is shockingly out of coffee today.

I was going to write some things for people to watch for in the Big East Tournament, but my analysis there is pretty much one dimensional: Go Irish.

You see, I have some good reason to be excited. Last night, Luke Harangody was named the Big East player of the year. Just the second time in Notre Dame history such an honor has been bestowed on one of their own.

Also last night, Notre Dame's tieless leader Mike Brey won Coach of the Year. Only the third time in Big East history that a coach has been named COY in consecutive seasons.

Harangody and McAlarney were named to the all Big East first team.

So this has to bode well, right? I have a reason to be excited?

Well, let's just say I am used to crushed expectations throughout my career as a Notre Dame fan. I would cite some instances here, but it would probably just make me weep. My emotions are on my sleeve here sans-coffee and we have some clients in the office today.

I don't want to list all the reasons Notre Dame can win this thing, since articles like that always come back to get you (cough, Bill Simmons, Patriots, Superbowl, cough). But its hard not to get caught up in the emotions. All these awards and recognition. I even went to the Men's Basketball page on ESPN.com and there was a featured article on Kyle McAlarney. How can I not get pumped up for this?

Maybe I can just focus on some other things. For instance, today's Syracuse and Villanova game starts in less than 2 hours. And its going to be a battle. The winner probably makes the tournament. The loser's season will end. Last year's Big East Freshman of the year versus this years recipient.

Or we can discuss Josh Beckett coming into camp weighing 300 pounds, immediately throwing out his back and missing the first week of the season.

We can talk about the Arizona Cardinals locking up Larry Fitzgerald for another 4 years.

10 Butler winning their conference tournament.

UNC retiring Hansbrough's jersey.

Kobe had a big night.

There is so much going on in the world of sports, yet all I can think about is Harangody ripping a rebound out of (insert name of Marquette/Seton Hall center here)'s hands.

Well, that and coffee.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites

Powered by FeedBurner