Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Sports Watercooler

Alright, so I was out drinking tons of Guinness and dominating the Photohunt game all night. Due to this, I don't know what happened in the sporting world last night. Also, because I was out drinking tons of Guinness and dominating the Photohunt game all night, I am not in a very "creative" mood today.

In lieu of me actually telling you the news, I am just going to pop open ESPN.com and go through their headlines. Join me, will you?

The big window is an article about the NCAA Tournament, specifically LA's two freshmen stars, USC's OJ Mayo and UCLA's Kevin Love. Both of them I feel like are probably giant douchebags, but I am sure if I actually read the article, I will be proven false. Too bad I have on interest in that.

They have a smaller picture and box about the brackets for the Women's NCAA Tournament. Apparently their brackets came out yesterday. Strangely, Notre Dame is also a 5 seed there too. I bet tens of dozens of people are busy filling out those brackets today.

"Celtics Extend Spurs Skid" It looks like San Antonio has lost 6 of their last 7 games. I did think it was pretty cool that all the home NBA teams last night wore green jerseys for St. Patrick's Day. Its also important to note that the Rockets will try and go for their 23rd win in a row tonight against the Celtics. Should be a pretty insane game, with all the ferver of a playoff game. And since I only watch the playoff games, it could be worth watching.

"Gator's Donovan Boots Team from Practice Facility" Apparently Coach Billy Donovan thought that Florida's first round exit from the SEC tournament and banishment to the NIT made them unworthy of practicing in their $12 million practice facility. I guess he forgot that everyone remotely good had graduated.

"Wild knock out Avs, take control of the Northwest" A hockey headline. Now that is strange. I love all things Minnesota sports and I had no idea that their hockey team was any good. Hope there is still some room for me to push myself onto the bandwagon.

"Colon rocked, Pettite Solid as Yanks Beat BoSox" This is about as newsworthy as "The Sky is Blue". I mean, first off, its spring training, so the managers are still fiddling with the rosters, trying new pitchers and seeing things out. Plus, Colon rocked is the biggest "no shit" story since scientists decided that smoking was bad. They might as well keep that Macro for the regular season as well.

And ESPN gives us our second Red Sox headline in a row here, with "Dice-K to start Sox opener in Japan". Once again, I have to say "no shit". Can you imagine being in Francona's office when they were debating this? "Ah, we got this game in Japan, do we have anyone on this roster who was a megastar here 2 years ago? What about that Okijima fellow? Not a starter you say? How about the other one?"

The story did have its merits though. For starters, I had no idea that Boston and Oakland were playing their first 2 regular season games in Japan. Not sure how they were both talked into that, but if one of those teams ends up losing a division by a game or 2, you know these games will be brought up. It doesn't seem too far.

And lastly, "Maradona apologizes for heckling with a signed shirt". Apparently once great, now just fat soccer star Maradona was watching a game and he heckled a player. I don't get what all the fuss was about because they never really say what Maradona said, but it looks like it must have been pretty mean. He apologized to the guy and gave him an autographed shirt. I have no idea how this made one of the top 7 headlines on ESPN.com, but thank God I am not famous, otherwise I would owe a lot of autographed shirts.

Lastly, the Bikes in Trees NCAA Tournament Pool is up! Its on facebook. You should just be able to search for it. I am not sure how this works really. But fill out a bracket and play. The winner will get their own post on this very site. You can say whatever you want, about whoever you want, whenever you want. Imagine your words being read by dozens of people! So sign up today!

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites

Powered by FeedBurner